Production Efficiency (PREF$)
PREF$ pinpoints genetics resulting in high yielding cows with lower feed costs. Emphasis is placed on pounds or kilograms of protein. Use of PREF$ and ICC$ will reverse the trend for taller cows.
• 2:1 Protein to Fat Ratio
• Marginal feed costs account for cost of production and body maintenance
• Selects for ideally sized commercial cows
HLTH$ provides opportunity for producers to breed for improved and sustainable health and longevity. High-ranking HLTH$ bulls have daughters with proper body condition, low somatic cell scores and excellent locomotion. With the inclusion of the proprietary health traits SCK, MTR and FH, this sub-index also selects for lower predicted blood BHBA and fewer cases of metritis and lameness.
• Incorporates breeding values for Body Condition Score and locomotion
• Includes proprietary SCK, MTR and FH breeding values
Fertility and Fitness (FYFT$)
FYFT$ meets the needs of producers looking to emphasize reproductive efficiency. Selection of bulls with high rankings for FYFT$ results in optimal age of first calving, reduced days open and shorter calving intervals.
• Includes nine measures of cow and heifer fertility
• Assigns a slight economic advantage to the polled genotype
Milking Ability (MABL$)
MABL$ optimizes farm efficiencies with trouble-free milking cows. Components of MABL$ include mastitis resistance, milking speed and temperament, and ideal commercial udder conformation and function. Ideal udders have strong attachments; are above the hock; and include proper teat placement and length. Choosing bulls using MABL$ enhances udder texture and manages the emerging trend for short teat length.
• Optimizes efficiency by selecting for trouble-free milking
• Incorporates Mastitis Resistance breeding value
• Udder selection emphasis includes udder depth, attachments, teat length and placement
• Specifically manages rear teat length and placement
Calving Ability (CABL$)
CABL$ focuses on live calves born without difficulty. High-ranking CABL$ sires with high ICC$ values can maximize genetic progress in heifer pens while ensuring an easy transition into the milking string.
• Added emphasis placed on Sire Calving Ease to minimize assistance needed in maternity pens